Sunday, June 26, 2011

"An incident of Jesus the son of Mary"

when God will say ( on the Day of Resurrection ). "O Jesus, son of Mary! Remember My Favor to you and to your mother when I supported you with Gabriel, so that you spoke to the people in the cradle and in maturity; and when I taught you writing, the power of understanding, the Torah, and the Gospel; and when you made out of the clay a figure like that of a bird, by My Permission, and you breathed into it, and it became a bird by My Permission, and you healed  those born blind. and the lepers by My Permission, and when you brought forth the dead by My Permission; and when I restrained the Children of Israel from you ( when they resolve to kill you ) as you came unto them with clear proofs, and the disbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic."

And when I (God) revealed to the disciples ( of Jesus ) to believe in Me and My Messenger, they said: "We believe. And bear witness that we are Believers (in One God)."

when the disciples said: "O Jesus, son of Mary! Can you Lord send down to us a table spread ( with food ) from heaven? " Jesus said: "Fear God, if you are indeed believers."

They said: "We wish to eat thereof and to satisfy our hearts ( to be stronger in Faith ), and to know that you have indeed told us the truth and that we ourselves be its witnesses."

Jesus, son of Mary, said: " O God, our Lord! Send us from the heaven a table spread ( with food ) that there may be for us - for the first and the last of us- a festival and a sign from You; and provide us with sustenance, for You are the Best of sustainers."

God  said: "I am going to send it down unto you, but if any of you after that disbelieves, then I will punish him with a torment such as I have not inflicted on anyone among the mankind and jinn."

And when God will say ( on the Day of Resurrection ): " O' Jesus son of Mary! Did you say unto men: ' Worship me and my mother as two gods besides God?' He (Jesus) will say: " Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right ( to say ). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though  I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden ( and unseen ).

Never did I say to them aught except what You ( God ) did command me to say: ' Worship God, my Lord and your Lord.' And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things.

"If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them, verily You, only You, are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."

God will say: "This is a Day on which the truthful will profit from their truth: theirs are Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise ) - they shall abide therein forever. Allah is pleased with them and they with Him. That is the great success ( Paradise ).

To God belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is therein, and He is Able to do all things.

-The Criterion, V.5:110-120

No comments:

Post a Comment